EcoBoost 2.3L I4 engine
2015 marks the first time in history, where every engine in the Mustang lineup is >300+HP. This is also the first time, since the mid-80’s Mustang SVO, that a 2.3L turbocharged 4 cylinder engine is part of the Mustang engine lineup. Built in Valencia, Spain for sale in 110 countries around the globe – this lightweight aluminum 2.3L powerplant is rated at 310hp and 320tq, currently it’s the highest output and largest displacement 4-cylinder engine in the Ford EcoBoost family. EcoBoost’s potent combination of twin scroll turbocharging, direct injection, and variable camshafts allow for the best fuel economy *ever* in a mustang: 30+ MPG
Ford Engineer Scott Makowski talking about the all-new 2015 2.3L EcoBoost engine, going into detail on twinscroll vs singlescroll around 1:00.
To learn more about the results of monoscroll VS twinscroll – CLICK HERE
- High Pressure Die-cast block with ladder-frame strengthening ribs molded around the cylinders and enlarged oil and cooling passages (deck height same as 2L).
- 9.5:1 CR 87.5mm bore high strength aluminum pistons with fully floating wristpins and steel piston ring carriers. Teflon coated low friction skirts (same bore as 2L but 0.5 lower compression).
- 94mm ‘stroker’ crankshaft, Forged 4340 steel (compared to 83mm cast steel on the 2L) lubricated by a chain driven oil pump
- Upgraded high volume / high pressure oil pump and pickup.
- Die-cast deep sump aluminum oil pan, baffled pickup area to prevent oil slosh, cavitation and starvation during high-G situations.
- High volume piston-cooling jets.
- Premium multi-layer bearings with low friction coating.
- Larger camshafts : higher lift and longer duration.
- High-flow 3 port integrated cylinder head, designed for twinscroll turbocharging.
- 32.5mm intake valves.
- 30mm Oversized sodium-filled exhaust valves, (compared to 28mm on the 2.0L).
- Upgraded valve seat materials.
- New Intake Manifold with increased plenum volume and larger diameter Throttle Body.
- Upgraded GDI Fuel Pump and Injectors.
- Twinscroll IWG turbocharger.
2.3L is the first EcoBoost application to utilize a twin-scroll turbocharger. This unique engine’s cylinder head features a 3-port integrated manifold design, which seperates the inner and outer pairs of cylinders into each inlet passage on the twinscroll turbo.
GDI Cam Driven Fuel Pump and Injectors
Due to the high power output required, high flowing GDI fuel Injectors and CDFP (cam driven fuel pump, aka High Pressure Fuel Pump, HPFP).
Ford Mustang 2015 Drivetrain
More than most drivers, Mustang owners like to take control and shift for themselves. S550 Mustang has 2 different 6-speed transmissions available: a paddle shifted and rev-matched 6R80 automatic trans OR a proven Getrag MT-82 with an all new shift linkage design, ergonomically positioning the shift lever in close proximity to the driver and providing shorter, crisper gear changes with improved shifting precision.
The same transmission and rear are used on the V8 and EcoBoost models – so there are no concerns with durability under load. All models come standard with rear LSD (limited slip differential) and optional Brembo Brakes. Additionally – certain models are available with linelock and launch control.
Chassis and Suspension
Ford Mustang’s 2.3L twin scroll turbocharged EcoBoost engine with Performance Package makes for a well balanced F-R (front engine RWD) chassis using stiff bushing IRS (independent rear suspension), larger radiator, and LSD to create the ultimate package for â€œevery-man’sâ€ high performance track events.
In order to achieve the lofty vehicle dynamics goals for 2015 Mustang, Ford engineers made the chassis more rigid and cut weight. Intelligent use of high-strength hydroformed steel, front end braces and gusseting combined with a strong, stiff and lightweight unibody yields a platform capable of world-class handling. Even more significant is Mustang’s all new Front and Rear multilink suspensions. Designed for a wide track width, low CG and tuned wheel/ bushing rates – this innovative design creates more front grip and rear traction than ever before, with a tremendously-broad performance envelope. When combined with the lightweight 2.3L EcoBoost, the result is a vehicle that’s easy to drive faster, easier to push to the limit and easier to recover. It can hustle out of turns, or launch off the line without being twitchy, yet retains a supple daily ride with low body roll.