No products in the cart.
The K20 engine is one of the highest flowing production engines we’ve ever worked with (on par with only the S2000’s F20/F22). When turbocharging these applications, it is imperative that the turbo system be engineered to properly compliment the engine’s huge flow characteristics. We ask that if you are seriously considering forced induction that you take the time to read through this FAQ (I know it’s a lot… I wrote it). This is an attempt to answer any and every question you could have. If there is something you need to know not listed, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll update it. The information contained herein has taken years of hard work from many smart people to compile.
The Full-Race FG/FA turbo kit is designed to be exceptionally powerful and very fast spooling while generating huge area-under-the-curve and maintaining quick response. When it came to designing the specifications, Full-Race engineers followed the same design philosophy as our legendary S2000 and K series turbo systems – offering maximum versatility and value to our customers. On a 100% stock Civic Si engine (upgraded turbo kit, clutch and fuel system/injectors), the Full-Race FG2/FA5 06+ Si turbo kit reliably generates a minimum of 330-400+whp on 91-93 octane pump gas at the low boost setting. With larger turbochargers and race gas, well over 700+whp is attainable (power range dependent upon turbocharger used and boost level set. 500+whp requires lower compression and supporting fuel mods). All turbo kits use the same manifold, downpipe, wastegate, exhaust, intercooler, piping etc, establishing the Full-Race turbo kit as the most versatile forced induction system available for the 06+ Civic Si. For example, if you start with an autocross GT2871R turbo and decide drag racing is your thing, swap in a GT35R (or smaller/larger) and retune…
The Turbo Kit consists of…
- Full-Race FG2/FA5 turbo manifold – T3 single-scroll with legendary Full-Race 4-to-1 merge collector. Every turbo manifold is handmade by our team of expert fabricators/welders.
- Full-Race Vertical Flow FMIC – uses Full-Race’s exclusive bar/plate core & aero endtanks (internally baffled for maximum heat transfer and IC core efficiency)
- Full-Race 6061-T6 Aluminum Charge Piping – Black powdercoated, with black Full-Race silicone couplers and constant pressure T-bolt clamps.
- Full-Race 3″ Downpipe – With high quality stainless flex section and (2) O2 sensor bungs.
- YOUR CHOICE Of Turbocharger – T3/T4 57 trim (street), GT2871R (autocross or road racing), GT3076R (street+) OR GT3582R (street/strip).
- TiAL 44mm Wastegate – FR recommends using a light wastegate spring pressure for low boost levels.
- TiAL 50mm BOV
- Full-Race Hardware Kit
- T3 Stainless Steel Turbine Inlet Gasket
- Full-Race Plumbing – Fittings and lines for oil, vacuum and water.
- Full-Race Bumper Support – This replacement part / intercooler mount is included with the kit.
- Heat Wrap – this is critical on any rear mount turbo system due to protecting the wiring, brake lines and hoses.
- Coatings Are Recommended! – HPC black is a good choice, and header wrap on top of that is also a good idea.
- Intake Tube & Filter
- Vent to Atmosphere Dumptube
- Fuel System Components: ID 1000cc injectors, Hondata FlashPro, High Pressure Fuel Pump.
- Competition Clutch – Stage 4
- Full-Race Vacuum/Boost Distribution Block
- Odyssey Battery PC680MJT
- Hondata FlashPro w/ RSX IAT and Pigtail (Coming Soon)
- Full-Race 3″ Exhaust (Coming Soon)
- HPC Coating on the manifold, turbine housing, and downpipe.
Full-Race kits have always been designed to be hardcore and versatile with no-frills, and the FG/FA Civic turbo kit is no exception – you get ONLY the best of what you need, no corners cut or compromises made. Our manifold is the highest quality, highest flowing and longest lasting turbo manifold on the planet… with the best welds in the industry. The handmade, TIG welded stainless downpipe is a true 3″ – the least restrictive design possible. The intercooler system is one of the best designs we’ve ever developed and easily the highest performing intercooling option for this car. You personally choose which clutch, fuel system, gauges, exhaust that YOU want in YOUR car. For example, you have the choice of using any fuel injectors you want to run (we recommend the ID 1000cc injectors), but our turbo kits will work with all types. There is no hacked up engine management system included for you to waste money on, Hondata FlashPro is the best solution (we build the best turbo kits, they build the best ECUs; they can’t build turbo kits better than us and we can’t build ECUs better than them – symbiosis). This is a major benefit over many of the other turbo kits currently offered ie: some kits include small injectors with less optimal spray patterns than stock, so driveability suffers and the first time the boost is turned up a little the “new” injectors are maxxed-out and already need to be upgraded. Many of our customers also have their own engine management, and/or their own clutch, fuel system, etc and do not need to purchase those items a second time… so while Full-Race does not include all supporting items with the base turbo kit – we custom tailor the turbo kit and supporting components to be a complete optimal package designed for you and your specific application. We aim to give you the most value and most performance at the best price.
If you are serious about turbocharging your car, and do not yet understand turbochargers, Full-Race highly recommends reading these two books to get prepared for boost.
- “Maximum Boost” by Corky Bell
- “Street Turbocharging” by Mark Warner – Full-Race contributed heavily to this book.
Full-Race Kit Specs
- Full-Race FG/FA T3/44 Turbo Manifold – The FG/FA K series turbo manifold design was originally based upon our hugely successful S2000 T3 turbo manifold w/ 44mm teardrop wastegate port (the teardrop is to control boost creep LINK TO BELOW BOOST CREEP SECTION). Simple, clean, effective and true Full-Race tradition. Starting with Full-Race’s 1/2″ thick (extra beefy!) 1018 steel head flange, going to our long, high-flowing robotic TIG welded 8-gauge thickwall stainless steel runners and connecting at our textbook handcrafted 4-to-1 merge collector.
This manifold has set the standard by which all other turbo manifolds are judged.
Note: EGT bung on the manifold available as a special order request, cylinder #3 is the most common.
Note: Full-Race recommends HPC Coating on our manifolds, downpipes, and turbine housings.
- Full-Race 3″ Downpipe – One of the only TRUE 3″ TIG welded stainless steel downpipes for the FG/FA chassis. This handmade high flow downpipe design is a full 3″ from start to end, minimizing backpressure and freeing horsepower while being easier on your engine. There is an included high-quality flex section which helps improve durability and eliminates the possibility of exhaust leaks. The downpipe includes (2) O2 bungs.
Note: K-series engines flow huge exhaust numbers and need to exhale. Do not believe anyone who says 2.5″ is enough exhaust for a K20! 3″ is recommended for most NA builds, and 3″ belongs on all turbo applications! We strongly recommend using a minimum of 70mm exhaust, preferably 3″ (75mm) for all size turbos on K series engines.
- Full-Race VerticalFlow Gen2 Intercooler – Featuring aero endtanks, Full-Race’s legendary vertical-flow intercooler is designed for fast turbo spool, cold IAT (inlet air temperature) and the lowest possible pressure drop while flowing way more than enough CFM for the I-VTEC system. Our latest intercooler design combines the ultra dense and highly efficient Bar & Plate intercooler core with the shortest charge piping possible for the K series engine and intake manifold in this chassis. Endtanks are optimized for low volume (fast spool) and high flow (big power) and are internally baffled to ensure equal charge distribution through the core for the coldest air possible.
Fog light compatible and no hacking or cutting of your bumper! (2006-2008). 2009-2011 modification or fog light removal required. Recommend Civic EX block off covers.
Note: Intercooler is also available with a Black Anodized coating to help shed heat AND give the ultimate sleeper effect.
Note: Horizontal flow intercoolers are not recommended since the excessively long charge piping creates additional lag and reduced intercooler efficiency with no positive benefit.
- Full-Race aluminum 2.5″ charge piping – All Full-Race charge piping is high quality USA-Made mandrel bent 6061-T6 aluminum (we ONLY use aluminum for charge piping since it sheds heat, further cooling the charge air whereas steel charge piping retains heat), with a durable shiny black powdercoat finish. Charge pipes are connected to the turbo, intercooler and throttle body with thick 4-ply silicone couplers and constant pressure T-bolt clamps (constant pressure will not crush like normal T-bolts when overtightened). Boost pressure is relieved with a TiAL 50mm BOV flange for efficient venting of the compressed intake air during gearshifts. Full-Race requires installing an RSX IAT sensor in the CNC machined aluminum bung welded on the charge pipe, just before the throttle body (to eliminate the MAF).
- Your choice of turbocharger – There are a number of different T3 turbochargers to choose from depending on your power/boost goals, as well as price point. please see section Turbochargers for details.
- TiAL/Full-Race 44mm wastegate – The wastegate’s job is to control how fast the turbo spins, and TiAL’s legendary v-band 44mm wastegate does that job very well. Stock K20s are capable of flowing huge exhaust numbers, and in order to properly control turbo speed and corresponding boost level, it is critical that the wastegate flows enough exhaust gas to keep up with the engine and turbo. Anything smaller than 44mm is too small for the K20 to hold low boost on a good manifold – this is not up for debate! Any smaller of a wastegate and the turbocharger will spin faster than intended, causing boost creep (boost creep is when the wastegate is unable to control the turbocharger wheel speed and boost keeps rising). Full-Race uses the 44mm AND a teardrop wastegate tube for maximum wastegate flow and accurate boost control.
Note: Full-Race recommends the TiAL small red spring for stock engine low boost applications!
- VTA Dumptube (Optional) – the vent-to-atmosphere (VTA) dump allows the 44mm Tial to fully exhale without increasing backpressure on the turbo. Full-Race offers a high quality TIG welded dump-to-atmosphere wastegate dumptube for maximum performance and the lowest possible backpressure/cylinder pressure. By venting the exhaust gasses it allows the turbo to have maximum thru-flow, with minimal exhaust restriction under boost. Some customers want a closed dump and have it recirculate back into the downpipe just before the flange, this will have to be done by your installer, as Full-Race does not offer this service.
- 4″ Intake kit (MAF Delete) (Optional) – This is a high quality 4″ intake for use on Full-Race turbo kit with GT turbocharger upgrade, including a high quality K&N filter. Draws in cool air near the cowl at the base of the windshield.
Note: Intake kit is not required – some prefer to place an air filter right on the turbo inlet – this saves some money, but draws in warmer air than the Full-Race intake.
Whether you like dodging cones at the local auto-cross or are looking to hurt egos at the local drag races, Full-Race turbo kits are available with your choice of turbo, to suit your application. Quick spool, fast response and a broad powerband with huge area-under-the-curve is the #1 focus, with each respective turbocharger bringing unique benefits. The fact that you can unbolt any turbo and boltup any other T3/4bolt turbos (smaller or larger) with no significant changes is a huge benefit. For example, if you’ve installed a Full-Race 57trim turbo kit and 6 months later you’re itching for more power, you can just turn the boost up a little, or install a GT30R or a GT35R and re-tune… making more power at the same low boost level.
Continue reading to get a better idea of each turbocharger’s characteristics as part of the Full-Race turbo kit. Turbos are listed in order from smallest to largest: GT2871R, T3/T04E 57trim, GT3076R. GT3582R.
- Garrett T3/T04E 57 Trim – The 57 trim is the base turbo included with the full-race turbo kit and is an excellent performing bang-for-the-buck turbocharger – in fact it’s the most affordable in the lineup. However, don’t let its price fool you, this turbo is a great match for a true streetcar with 100% stock K20 engine and absurdly quick.. this turbo more than potent enough for a respectable run down the drag strip and to show the car your tail lights. This is a tried-and-true turbo we’ve used for many years on many many cars with excellent long-term reliability, a broad powerband and very easy to upgrade. Considered by many as an excellent “first turbo” the 57trim’s performance is likened to a less efficient version of the GT3076R. (In fact, we trust this turbo so much, we ran it on both cars we entered on PINKS … although the episode that I drove the red CRX was a much better showing). Expect ~350whp at 11-12 psi boost on a 100% stock engine and pump gas. This turbo will max out around 490-500whp at 26psi boost, so it is good for an 11sec pass on slicks with race gas. Oil-Cooled only (does not require water coolant fittings). (3″ exhaust is recommended)
- Garrett GT2871RS (and GT2860RS) – This dual ball bearing turbo is Garrett’s answer to the need for a smallish “quick response” turbo that spools fast enough for autocross and road race applications, yet is still capable of 400+whp. Using a Ball bearing center section, GT28RS turbine, with the legendary 71mm compressor wheel, the 2871R has long been a favorite for road racers and drifters because it’s in boost as soon as the “long skinny pedal” gets the green light – virtually no turbo lag. Full-Race recommends this turbo for street applications that are not overly interested in drag racing, but are looking for the quickest/earliest spool and fastest response. Top end power is not the strongpoint here. Full-Race modifies this turbo to use the high-flowing T3 turbine housing and Tial external wastegate which are required for efficient operation on the high flowing K-series VTEC engine. Expect a fast spooling ~340whp at 11-12 psi boost on a 100% stock engine and pump gas If you are looking for a mild and fun turbo setup, this is the one. Oil and Watercooled, fittings/lines included. **the smaller GT2860RS is recommended for competitive autocrossing and short track road racing applications** (3″ exhaust is recommended).
- Garrett GT3076R – This is Full-Race’s all-time best selling turbo, there are more K-series/B-series/F-series equipped Full-Race 30R Hondas than any other setup. Capable of pumping out solid power at low-mid boost (being easy on the engine), the dual ball bearing 30R generates a true 400-420whp at 11-12 psi on pump gas with a 100% stock engine using a conservative and accurate tune (non-aggressive ignition timing, ideal a:f ratios) for safe operation and excellent part throttle mpg. We most often recommend the 30R for stock engine street applications looking for exceptional performance and the occasional weekend trip to the dragstrip. From a size standpoint, the 30R is a relatively small turbo (physically smaller than the 57 trim) yet it efficiently moves big cold airflow rates and LOVES VTEC engines from 9psi to 30psi (especially the K20 and F20!). Anyone looking for an incredibly broad powerband, fantastic reliability and wants to install/tune/boost and forget will love this setup. Maxxing out at 560+whp at 28psi boost on a built engine, this turbo is capable of putting your civic into the high 10sec 1/4 mile range. NOTE: if i owned an Si, id probably be putting a 3076 on it… fast spooling 400-420whp at 11-12 psi on pump gas and dead reliable. If a thicker head gasket is installed to reduce compression, 520whp and 375tq at 19 psi on pump gas can be expected. Oil and Watercooled, fittings/lines included. (3″ exhaust is required).
- Garrett GT3582R – The dual ball bearing GT35R is the turbocharger of choice for the enthusiast that wants to go really, really fast. Long known for its incredible power potential and quick spooling nature, the GT35R will support up to 660+whp and is recommend for street/strip applications with a top end biased powerband. ~430-440 WHP at 11-12 psi on pump gas with a 100% stock engine using a conservative tune, the 35R will embarrass almost any exotic car, many street bikes, and can put your civic in the mid 10 second range with slicks and race gas. With reduced compression ratio (head gasket or pistons) 550+whp at 19psi on pump gas is possible… and very very fast. Oil and Watercooled, fittings/lines included. (3″ exhaust is required).
- FP HTA3586R – Are you psycho?! Do you want more than 700+ WHP? The FP HTA35 turbo will do it. This turbo is a fire-breathing monster. Capable of going deep 10s, maybe high 9s and exploding your transmission while shattering axles … drag racers only apply. Bolts on identically to the Full-Race 35R turbo kit but makes a LOT of horsepower. Other “bigger” turbo options exist as well… please call 866-FULL-RACE or email us for additional information.
Note: Full-Race recommends eliminating the MAF sensor. Check out the Hondata write up on how to replace it with a RSX IAT sensor and plug. Hondata MAF Removal Write Up.
Oil Drain Notes
In order to clear our massive high flowing 3″ downpipe, the steering rack strap’s mount must be trimmed for clearance.
When installing FMIC, rotate the ambient air temp sensor vertically and retighten (it does not fit between the intercooler and condenser).
Charge Pipe Notes
After the FMIC is mounted, trim the fender well sheet metal to clear the giant 2.5″ charge pipes. Trimming here is NOT structural and is NOT part of the frame – just thin sheet metal. When installing the charge piping, the 90 deg coupler from the turbocharger outlet should be positioned parallel to the firewall, pointing directly at the driver side fender.
Stock battery will fit in stock location or you can use a smaller sized battery. Another option is relocating the stock battery to the trunk. ***If the stock battery location is used be sure to keep the positive battery lead away from the metal headlight support.
Heat is the enemy of any car, and on a high performance engine it is critical that insulation be used. HPC coatings, additional header wrap, additional heat protection measures are HIGHLY RECOMMENDED for all hot side components in the engine bay. This turbo kit includes heat reflective gold foil that is an ultra efficient at thermal-reflector to protect brake lines and misc. wiring near the area of the turbo and manifold. Gold foil must also be used on the 90 degree silicone coupler near manifold. Additionally, we recommend using anti seize on ALL threads and vband surfaces – it makes working on the car much easier!
Clutch and Turbo Kit Install Notes
If doing the clutch install at the same time as the turbo kit install, it may be easier to drop the engine to separate the transmission and tap the oil pan + install the manifold, turbo, downpipe, wastegate, and dump tube assembly. This engine is very easy to drop! Full-Race recommends using the Competition Clutch Stage 4 Spring.
Air Intake Notes
If the optional intake is not purchased, you can install a cone filter directly on the turbochargers inlet as pictured here.
Full-Race 2006-2011 Honda Civic Si EFR Turbo Kit